Defining your REAC budget request
Each funded grant will have a maximum budget of $35,000. The choice of funding agency will be made based on the novelty of the technology and qualifications of the investigators and research applications proposed.
It is expected that the cost for large pieces of equipment should be shared among several sources, including departmental funds and individual research grants.
- Consumable supplies itemize
- Animals itemize according to costs of purchase
and cost of maintenance (i.e., amount per day per number of animals
and total length of time)
- Permanent equipment items of $100.00 or more
- Temporary technical assistance - This cost is generally
discouraged for REAC funding. However, if technical support is specifically
required by the project, and no other funds are available, then clearly
justify the need on a one-time basis. Funds may be used to provide short
term salary support for postdoctoral scientists and partial salary support
of not greater than 50 percent for existing research staff.
- Postdoctoral support- This is generally discouraged.
Any request for postdoctoral support must be strongly justified.
- Other - Laboratory tests, operating room costs,
statistical services, and analysis, etc. Justify the need for all items.
Document proposed joint usage.
- Budgetary overlap - Describe potential overlap with
other funding sources.
- Justify all budget items.
- PI and co-investigator salary support. Funds may
be used to provide short-term salary support for postdoctoral scientists
and partial salary support of not greater than 50 percent for existing
research staff. Partial PI Salary Support that is well justified may now be requested. Ongoing
salary support for PI or co-investigators is not allowable.
- Office supplies, reprints, communications (phone,
fax, etc.) are not allowed.
- Permanent equipment. The applicant should indicate
that proper investigation of the University Surplus Pool has been made
and that the required equipment is not available by calling ext. 2-3064.
Non-expendable equipment exceeding $100 in value remains the property
of the School of Medicine.
- Renovation costs are not allowed.
- Travel. Travel required as part of the specific research
project should be clearly described and justified. Travel to scientific
meetings is not an allowable expense.
- Personal computers. Under most circumstances
the committee will not provide funds for personal computers. Requests
for a computer will only be considered if well justified and
- if essential for the project,
- if submitted as part of a formal research proposal that clearly
demonstrates the need for the requested equipment,
- if accompanied by evidence that the investigator has explored
other sources for computer access or purchase,
- if multiple use is contemplated.