UCSF University of California, San Francisco      About UCSF       Search UCSF       UCSF Medical Center     
  Education & Training    Research    Patient Care   

Print This Page For Normal View, Click Here For Larger Font Sizes', Click Here

 CDC Travel Health
 Global Health
 Institute for
 Global Health
 SISS: Services to
 Int'l Students &
 UCSF Student
 Health Services
 U.S. Dept. of  State Travel Info.
 International  Visiting Students


International Programs
Study Abroad
Leadership in International Health Education
Scholarship in Global Health
Contact Us

Private Funding Sources

The New Aid Foundation Fellowships
Applications due: December
The New Aid Foundation provides grants to masters and medical students to conduct research abroad on abandoned infectious diseases in marginalized populations. These include, but are not limited to, tuberculosis, malaria, trypanosomiasis, filariasis, and dengue fever. The research projects should have a ten to twelve week duration, and are typically completed during the summer. A stipend of $3500 to $4500 plus airfare is provided. Only research which examines the distribution of disease, its causes, or appropriate interventions will be funded. All applicants must have completed two semesters of graduate level education. While it is not required that applicants be concurrently enrolled in a graduate program of public health, students enrolled in other programs must demonstrate a strong commitment to public health and must have taken courses in public health research methods including epidemiology and/or biostatistics. Please visit www.newaid.org for more information and to complete the application.

Zuckerman Fellowship
For advanced studies in public health, education, or public policy at Harvard
Deadline for the MPH program is DECEMBER 15.
Deadline for KSG or S/Education is in early January.

This fellowship pays tuition, student health fees and a $30,000 stipend for students who are selected to pursue an advanced degree from Harvard's School of Education (masters in education), Kennedy School of Government (masters in public policy) or the Harvard School of Public Health (MPH). The program is one year long and is open to currently enrolled medical students or those with an MD degree (for students in the class of 2006 who are NOT matching into a residency program in 2006-07). For more information, please go to: http://www.zuckermanfellows.harvard.edu
Jesus Alvarez, a fourth year UCSF student, is one of 25 Zuckerman Fellows in 2005-06; he is enrolled in Harvard's MPH program.

Catherine B. Reynolds Foundation Fellowship
Deadline for application to Harvard's MPH program is December 15.
This fellowship is for students who are interested in social entrepreneurship. Candidates for this fellowship must be in their fourth year of medical school (2006-07) and must apply and get into either Harvard's School of Education, Kennedy School of Government and Harvard's School of Public Health. The Reynolds Fdn Fellowship covers tuition & health insurance for one or two years, plus a $20,000 stipend. This fellowship also has experiences that take place outside the classroom setting. For more information, go to: http://www.ksg.harvard.edu/leadership/reynolds

Carole Davis Scholarship
Global Health Education Consortium (GHEC)
Deadline: January

The scholarship is given to a student or faculty member for project proposals in emerging countries or involving disadvantaged populations in North America. Applications should include a CV, a statement of no more than 1000 words indicating how the funds will be used, a letter from a supervising faculty member (for students or residents) or a letter of support from a colleague (for faculty members). For more information contact the GHEC Secretariat at Email Contact info@globalhealth-ec.org or visit http://www.globalhealth-ec.org/

Infectious Disease Society of America (IDSA)
Summer Scholarships for Medical Students

Deadline: April
An important part of IDSA's mission is to promote the subspecialty of infectious diseases by attracting the best and brightest medical students to the field. To further this goal, the IDSA Education and Research Foundation offers summer scholarships to medical students with mentorship by an IDSA member or fellow. Students in any year of medical school are eligible for this award. The scholarship activity must focus on pediatric or adult infectious diseases and may involve either clinical or research activities. These awards grow more competitive every year as the number of applicants increases. For more information, visit the Summer Scholarships page on the IDSA website or call IDSA at (703) 299-0200. IDSA, 66 Canal Center Plaza, Suite 600, Alexandria, VA 22314

University of Michigan Population Fellowship Programs Graduate Applied Project Mini-Grants
Deadline: March 10
Graduate Applied Project (GAP) Mini-Grants are available to individuals with the academic background and skills required for a Population or Population-Environment Fellowship or other early-career position in the field, but who lack experience applying their skills to family planning and population-environment projects, particularly in the developing world. Successful candidates receive a taxable stipend of $2,500 for a self-arranged summer internship with a family planning organization in the developing world. By the time they apply, candidates must have identified options for a full-time, two- to four-month applied project/internship that will help prepare them for a career in international family planning, integrated family planning-reproductive health, or population-environment. To qualify for funding, the intern's work should be either unpaid or paid at a level that does not cover internship-related travel and living expenses. See the Program's website at www.sph.umich.edu/pfps for further details.

MAP International Medical Fellowships
MAP offers travel assistance fellowships for third- and fourth-year medical students for externships in Christian mission hospitals in developing countries.  Residents and interns who have not entered into the private practice of medicine are also eligible.  Although clinical investigation may be included in an individual project, overall emphasis is on a broad health care experience.  The fellowship provides one hundred percent of the approved round trip airfare to one destination.  In most instances, students pay room and board as well as any in-country travel expenses.  Students must spend at least eight weeks in the field (six weeks for residents and interns).  Students are advised to apply during the academic year prior to travel.  For additional information or for an application form please visit their website.

Rotary Foundation Ambassadorial Scholarships
The Rotary Foundation Ambassadorial Scholarships aim to further international understanding and friendly relations among people of different countries. These scholarships are for study in another country where there is another Rotary Club. The scholarships include awards for trips three- to ten-months long for intensive language study and cultural immersion, and funding for study abroad at an academic institution for one or more years. Recipients are expected to be ambassadors of goodwill through appearances before Rotary Clubs and schools. The number and types of scholarships offered vary from year to year and are determined by each Rotary district. For more information visit http://www.rotary.org/foundation/educational/.

American Medical Women's Association
Overseas Assistance Grant
Applications due at least three months before travel
AWHS, a project of the AMWA (American Medical Women's Association) Foundation, will provide assistance with transportation costs (airfare, train fare, etc.) up to $1,500 connected with pursuing medical studies in an off-campus setting benefiting the medically underserved. Applicants must be a national AMWA student member and in the process of completing the second, third or fourth year of an accredited US allopathic or osteopathic medical school, or be a resident spending a minimum of six weeks and no more than one year in a sponsored program serving the needs of an underserved community. The program must be sponsored by a school or an outside agency. If there is no sponsor, the school must take responsibility for the program and give academic credit. Contact Marie Glanz for additional information and an application: Email Contactmglanz@amwa-doc.org, phone (703) 838-0500.

Return to Previous Page

Updated: May 21, 2007
    Site Map    Contact Info     ©UC Regents