Out and About by the Resident & Fellow Affairs Committee
“Out and About” is a feature in the Graduate Medical Education Office’s quarterly newsletter, The Residents Report. Each quarter, members of the Resident and Fellow Affairs Committee share some of their favorite spots throughout the bay area.
Laura Tabatabai, MD - Pathology
- Ferry Excursion to Marin
- Favorite Lunch Spot in Sausalito
- Hike through Tiburon
Sue Sheehan - Medicine
- Dog Friendly Venues throughout the Bay
- Best Off the Leash Spots
- Great Hikes for the Dog
Liz Brown, MD, PhD - Emergency Medicine
- Finding the Secret Stairwells
- Urban Hikes around UCSF
- Great Views Across the Bridge
Stuart Lustig, MD, MPH - Psychiatry
- Vegan Hot Spots Around the City
- Vegan Treats at Local Bakeries
- Great Vegan Tasting Menus
Brian Waldschmidt, MD - Anesthesia
- Who has the best Deep Dish in the City?
- Quirky Neighborhood Pizza Shop
- Hottest Pizza Parlour in Town
Julie Philp, MD - Dermatology
- Day Excursions North of SF
- Where to go for a Weekend Getaway
- North to the Redwoods!
Kevin Thornton, MD - Anesthesia
- Cocktails in the Haight.
- The Tenderloin's very own Speakeasy.
- Late night meals at NOPA.
Glenn Rosenbluth, MD - Pediatrics
- Favorite places to brunch in the city.
- Best deli outside of NY.
- Great bagels in San Francisco.
Kerry Cho, MD - Nephrology
- A day at the zoo.
- Enjoying the California Academy of Sciences.
- Inner Sunset farmer's market.
Meg Autry, MD - OB/GYN
- Backpack through King's Canyon.
- Rent a houseboat on Lake Shasta.
- Dine your way through Bernal Heights and the Mission.
Kirsten Greene, MD - Urology
- Great brunch suggestions in Laurel Heights and Cole Valley!
- Find the best jewelry store in the city.
- Your best bets for the best shoe shopping.
Lygia Stewart, MD - Surgery
- Explore the Redwoods on the Roaring Camp Railroad.
- Take the Napa Valley Wine Train through Wine Country.
- See the Coast on the Skunk Train.
- Ride Amtrak to Old Sacramento.
Jill Thomas - Community Medicine
- Soar over Wine Country in a Vintage Biplane.
- Glide off Mount Tam.
- Skydive while inside.
Linda Liu, MD - Anesthesia
- Swing your nine iron at Harding Park.
- Take a hike through Mt. Bruno State Park.
- Get some puppy love at the SF SPCA.
- Eat up at San Tung Chinese Restaurant.
Iljie Fitzgerald, MD, MS - Psychiatry- Find Zen at the De Young Museum.
- Discover gems at Green Apple Books.
- Enjoy the BBQ at Everett & Jones.
- Get down at the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival.
- Take in the city at Grandview Park.
Christine Glastonbury, MBBS - Radiology- Stroll down Fillmore Street.
- Get a well deserved massage at the JCC.
- Start your weekend at the Ferry Building Farmers Market.
- Let your kids (or your pugs) go wild at Alta Plaza.
- Jog off your worries at Crissy Field
Nicholas Barbaro, MD - Neurosurgery
- Cheer on the Giants (and eat garlic fries) at AT&T Park.
- Get off the Peninsula and on to Angel Island. - Enjoy dinner and a show at Civic Center. - - - Stroll with the locals in Sausalito.
Patrick Guffy, MD - Anesthesia & Perioperative Care - Get your cannoli on in North Beach.
- Explore the wineries of The Russian River.
- Let the stress wash away at Ocean Beach.
- Take a hike through The Marin Headlands.
Sandrijn VanSchaik, MD, PhD - Pediatrics - Discover a great view, without the tourists, at Tank Hill Park.
- Rekindle your love of cheese at Say Cheese. - Realize the limitless possibilities in Golden Gate Park.
- Enjoy friends, waves, and fire at Ocean Beach.
Stuart Lustig, MD, MPH - Psychiatry
- Find peace at The Japanese Tea Garden.
- Get your fix at Chocolate Covered.
- Explore the views from Twin Peaks.
- Get healthy and yummy cuisine at Burma Super Star.
- Laugh it all off at Cobbs Comedy Club.
David Aaronson, MD - Urology
- Enjoy tennis and babies at Alta Plaza.
- Enjoy music and culture in The Fillmore and Japantown.
- Pack up the kids and head to The Discovery Museum.
- Watch the pigskin fly with the 49ers or Cal Bears.
Robert Goldberg, MD - Occupational Medicine
- Sail the bay at Modern Sailing Academy.
- Cycle through the East Bay hills.
- Enjoy small town charm on Alameda Island.
Ashley Ward, MD - Pediatrics
- Climb Tank Hill and reap the rewards.
- Let the theater steal the show at The Castro Theater.
- Check out contemporary and functional works of art at The SF Museum of Craft & Design.
- Lock up the visiting guests at Alcatraz.
Vijay Rao, MD, PhD - Medicine
- Enjoy cocktails and Karaoke at Japantown’s Playground.
- Ride a hot air balloon over Napa.
- Get out of the fog and into the sun at Lodi’s Zinfest.
- Help others and meet friends at the AIDS Walk.