Recent articles and books by Academy members, and related news.
- Chou CL, Hirschmann K, Fortin AH 6th, Lichstein PR.Â The impact of a faculty learning community on professional and personal development: the facilitator training program of the american academy on communication in healthcare.Â Acad Med. 2014 Jul;89(7):1051-6. doi: 10.1097/ACM.0000000000000268. PMID: 24979175Â
- Branch WT Jr, Chou CL, Farber NJ, Hatem D, Keenan C, Makoul G, Quinn M, Salazar W, Sillman J, Stuber M, Wilkerson L, Mathew G, Fost M. Faculty Development to Enhance Humanistic Teaching and Role Modeling: A Collaborative Study at Eight Institutions. J Gen Intern Med. 2014 Jun 20. PMID: 24947051
- Hines JZ, Sewell JL, Sehgal NL, Moriates C, Horton CK, Chen AH. "Choosing Wisely" in an Academic Department of Medicine. Am J Med Qual. 2014 Jun 26. pii: 1062860614540982. PMID: 24970279
- O'Sullivan PS, Irby DM. Identity Formation of Occasional Faculty Developers in Medical Education: A Qualitative Study. Acad Med. 2014 Jun 20.PMID: 24979283
- Starmer AJ, O'Toole JK, Rosenbluth G, Calaman S, Balmer D, West DC, Bale JF Jr, Yu CE, Noble EL, Tse LL, Srivastava R, Landrigan CP, Sectish TC, Spector ND; I-PASS Study Education Executive Committee. Development, Implementation, and Dissemination of the I-PASS Handoff Curriculum: A Multisite Educational Intervention to Improve Patient Handoffs. Acad Med. 2014 Jun;89(6):876-84. PMID: 24871238 [PubMed - in process]
- Webb EM, Cotton JB, Kane K, Straus CM, Topp KS, Naeger DM. Teaching Point of Care Ultrasound Skills in Medical School: Keeping Radiology in the Driver's Seat.
Acad Radiol. 2014 Jul;21(7):893-901. doi: 10.1016/j.acra.2014.03.001.
PMID: 24928158 [PubMed - in process]
- Baron RB. In Reply to Walsh. Acad Med. 2014 May; 89(5):698. PMID: 24781293
- Thoma B, Chan T, Desouza N, Lin M. Implementing peer review at an emergency medicine blog: bridging the gap between educators and clinical experts. CJEM. 2014;16(0):21-4. PMID: 24810912 [PubMed - in process]
- van Schaik SM, O'Brien BC, Almeida SA, Adler SR. Perceptions of interprofessional teamwork in low-acuity settings: a qualitative analysis. Med Educ. 2014 Jun;48(6):583-92. doi: 10.1111/medu.12424. PMID: 24807434 [PubMed - in process]
- Aronson L. How do we tell the stories of medicine? Lancet. 2014 Apr 26;383(9927):1456-7
- Rabow MW, Newman M, Remen RN. Teaching in Relationship: The Impact on Faculty of Teaching "The Healer's Art". Teach Learn Med. 2014;26(2):121-8
- Rosenbluth G, O'Brien B, Asher EM, Cho CS. The "zing factor," how do faculty describe the best pediatrics residents? J Grad Med Educ. 2014 Mar;6(1):106-11. doi: 10.4300/JGME-D-13-00146.1. PMID: 24701319 [PubMed]
- AlegrÃa DA, Boscardin C, Poncelet A, Mayfield C, Wamsley M. Using tablets to support self-regulated learning in a longitudinal integrated clerkship. Med Educ Online. 2014; 19:23638.
- Baron RB, Davis NL, Davis DA, Headrick LA. Teaching for Quality: Where Do We Go From Here? Am J Med Qual. 2014 Mar 6. PMID:24604907
- Kalet A, Chou CL, eds. Remediation in Medical Education: A Midcourse Correction. New York: Springer Verlag, 2014.
- Martinez W, Hickson GB, Miller BM, Doukas DJ, Buckley JD, Song J, Sehgal NL, Deitz J, Braddock CH, Lehmann LS. Role-modeling and medical error disclosure: a national survey of trainees. Acad Med. 2014 Mar;89(3):482-9. PMID: 24448052
- Vidyarthi AR, Green AL, Rosenbluth G, Baron RB. Engaging residents and fellows to improve institution-wide quality: the first six years of a novel financial incentive program. Acad Med. 2014 Mar;89(3):460-8. doi: 10.1097/ACM.0000000000000159.PMID:24448041
- Cadogan M, Thoma B, Chan TM, Lin M. Free Open Access Meducation (FOAM): the rise of emergency medicine and critical care blogs and podcasts (2002-2013). Emerg Med J. 2014 Feb 19. doi: 10.1136/emermed-2013-203502. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 24554447 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
- Chen HC, Sheu L, O'Sullivan P, Ten Cate O, Teherani A. Legitimate workplace roles and activities for early learners. Med Educ. 2014 Feb;48(2):136-45. doi: 10.1111/medu.12316. PMID: 24528396 [PubMed - in process]
- Rosenstein MG, Turk JK, Caughey AB, Steinauer JE, Kerns JL. Dilation and Evacuation Training in Maternal-Fetal Medicine Fellowships. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2014 Feb 1. pii: S0002-9378(14)00097-0. doi: 10.1016/j.ajog.2014.01.038. [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 24495668 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
- Sehgal NL, Wachter RM, Vidyarthi AR. Bringing continuing medical education to the bedside: the University of California, San Francisco Hospitalist Mini-College. J Hosp Med. 2014 Feb;9(2):129-34. doi: 10.1002/jhm.2111. Epub 2013 Nov 21.
- Mookherjee S, Monash B, Wentworth KL, Sharpe BA. Faculty development for hospitalists: Structured peer observation of teaching. J Hosp Med. 2014 Jan 20. doi: 10.1002/jhm.2151. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 24446215 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
- Vidyarthi AR, Green AL, Rosenbluth G, Baron RB. Engaging Residents and Fellows to Improve Institution-Wide Quality: The First Six Years of a Novel Financial Incentive Program. Acad Med. 2014 Jan 20. PMID: 24448041
- Anderson WG, Flint LA, Horton JR, Johnson K, Mourad M, Sharpe BA. Update in hospital palliative care. J Hosp Med. 2013 Dec;8(12):715-20
- Hanson JT, Pierce RG, Dhaliwal G. The New Education Frontier: Clinical Teaching at Night. Acad Med. 2013 Dec 19. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 24362386
- Mookherjee S, Ranji S, Neeman N, Sehgal NL. A Quality Improvement and Patient Safety Elective for Senior Medical Students. Clin Teach. 2013 Dec; 10(6):368-73.
- Shunk R, Dulay M, Chou CL, Janson S, O'Brien BC. Huddle-Coaching: A Dynamic Intervention for Trainees and Staff to Support Team-Based Care. Acad Med. 2013 Dec 19. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 24362383
- Aggarwal AK, Thompson M, Falik R, Shaw A, O'Sullivan P, Lowenstein DH. Mental illness among us: a new curriculum to reduce mental illness stigma among medical students. Acad Psychiatry. 2013 Nov 1; 37(6):385-91
- Chou CL, Masters DE, Chang A, Kruidering M, Hauer KE. Effects of longitudinal small-group learning on delivery and receipt of communication skills feedback. Med Educ. 2013 Nov;47(11):1073-9. PMID: 24117553
- Sehgal NL, Wachter RM, Vidyarthi AV. Bringing CME to the Bedside: the UCSF Hospitalist Mini-College. J Hosp Med. 2013 Nov 21(Epub ahead of print).
- Wamsley MA, Julian KA, O'Sullivan P, McCance-Katz EF, Batki SL, Satre DD, Satterfield J. Team-based learning exercise efficiently teaches brief intervention skills to medicine residents. Subst Abus. 2013;34(4):344-9. PMID: 24159904
- Ilgen JS, Bowen JL, McIntyre LA, Banh KV, Barnes D, Coates WC, Druck J, Fix ML, Rimple D, Yarris LM, Eva KW. Comparing Diagnostic Performance and the Utility of Clinical Vignette-Based Assessment Under Testing Conditions Designed to Encourage Either Automatic or Analytic Thought. Acad Med. 2013 Oct;88(10):1545-51. PMID: 23969355
- Stearns J, Everard KM, Gjerde CL, Stearns M, Shore W. Understanding the Needs and Concerns of Senior Faculty in Academic Medicine: Building Strategies to Maintain This Critical Resource. Acad Med. 2013 Oct 14.PMID: 24128636
- Baron RB. Can We Achieve Public Accountability for Graduate Medical Education Outcomes? Acad Med. 2013 Sept;88(9): 1199-201. PMID: 23887009
- Aronson L. "Good" patients and "difficult" patients--rethinking our definitions. N Engl J Med. 2013 Aug 29;369(9):796-7.
- Clinite KL, Reddy ST, Kazantsev SM, Kogan JR, Durning SJ, Blevins T, Chou CL, Diemer G, Dunne DW, Fagan MJ, Hartung PJ, Mechaber HF, Paauw DS, Wong JG, Dezee KJ. Primary Care, the ROAD Less Traveled: What First-Year Medical Students Want in a Specialty. Acad Med. 2013 Aug 21. PMID: 23969353
- Masters DE, O'Brien BC, Chou CL. The Third-Year Medical Student "Grapevine": Managing Transitions Between Third-Year Clerkships Using Peer-to-Peer Handoffs. Acad Med. 2013 Aug 21. PMID: 23969370
- Mookherjee S, Pheatt L, Ranji SR, Chou CL. Physical examination education in graduate medical education-a systematic review of the literature. J Gen Intern Med. 2013 Aug;28(8):1090-9. PMID: 23568186
Advances in Health Sciences Education
Evaluation & the Health Professions
JAMA (annually, a fall issue is devoted to medical education)
Journal of Continuing Education in the Health Professions
Journal of Interprofessional Care
Journal of the National Medical Association
Teaching and Learning in Medicine
The Clinical Teacher
Academic Emergency Medicine
American Journal of Medicine
American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
Annals of Internal Medicine
Journal of General Internal Medicine
Journal of Hospital Medicine
Obstetrics & Gynecology
Western Journal of Emergency Medicine