The Jaclyne Witte Boyden Award
The Academy of Medical Educators’ annual Jaclyne Witte Boyden Award honors and recognizes exemplary service by School of Medicine staff in support of medical education. Named for former vice dean Jackie Boyden, a strong advocate for the Academy’s establishment, recipients are specially recognized in September at the Academy’s Celebration of New Members and will receive a framed certificate, acknowledgement by letter, and be an invited guest to our Celebration reception.
Recepients awarded also receive:
- Bear Hugs gift certificate of their choice ($75 value)
- Supported expenses for one medical education-related professional development activity ($2000 max). This may cover registration fees, coach air, ground transportation, subsistence, and lodging, per UCSF policy, with the following requirements:
- The home department is expected to provide paid release time (not vacation leave).
- Awardee submits funding request in advance to Karen Brent, for review by Boyden committee chair and AME director.
- Funds must be used by June 30, 2016 after award presentation.
- Reimbursement request must be filed within three weeks following the activity/travel.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
In 2015, the Boyden Award will recognize two outstanding School of Medicine staff members for their exemplary service to UCSF medical education: (a) for five or fewer years of service and (b) for more than five years of service.
We welcome nominees from all levels and sites, in all areas that support medical education: departmental medical education staff, residency coordinators, essential and clinical core staff, and Dean's Office staff. We especially encourage nominations of front-line employees who directly impact the school's medical education mission (e.g. “the unsung heroes”).
Each nominee’s performance should exhibit one or more of the following characteristics in support of medical education:
- Contributes above and beyond his/her job description to activities, programs or events resulting in increased educational value for SOM learners.
- Serves as a role model for teamwork and service to others.
- Makes the school and/or department/unit a better place to work and to learn by consistently demonstrating an open and helpful attitude, and by communicating and working cooperatively with students, residents, colleagues, and faculty.
- Demonstrates a commitment to excellence and inspires others to excel.
Submission of Nominations and Deadline
Any School of Medicine faculty member may submit a nomination online (one per faculty member per year). A completed nomination packet must include:
- A primary nomination (maximum two pages) from a School of Medicine faculty member citing specific examples in as many of the four characteristics noted above as applicable. (The primary nomination must include the nominee's work title, department, and years of service to medical education at UCSF.)
- One supporting letter (maximum one page). Any School of Medicine faculty or staff member can submit a supporting letter. A staff (supervisor or colleague) letter is encouraged.
- Click here to complete application and submit letters
Submission Deadline: May 29, 2015, 5:00 pm
A committee comprised of Academy members and staff will review nominations and select two awardees. The awards will be presented at the Academy's annual Celebration of New Members on September 28, 2015. For questions or assistance, contact Karen Brent.