Kelley Skeff, MD, PhD (Stanford University) lead a workshop and gave the Keynote Address at Education Day 2009.
Photo credit: Elisabeth Fall
A resource to the entire School of Medicine, the Academy strives to support educators and improve and enrich teaching in every department. Through its established programs, the Academy:
- Provides intramural grants that serve as a catalyst for the development of new curricular programs. Since its inception, the Innovations Funding program has awarded more than $2 million in grant funding.
- Hosts seasonal meetings and other Academy-wide events, often featuring keynote lectures by national leaders in the field of medical education. These symposia provide a forum to discuss our work as teachers and educators and promote collaborations across departments, sites and institutions. Members are encouraged to bring guests.
- Offers individualized teaching consultation services through TIP-TOP, the Teaching Improvement and Teaching Observation Program.
- Has facilitated the establishment of 20 matched endowed chairs and two Academy-based chairs in support of teaching excellence. Two additional Academy-based chairs are in the process of establishment.
- Recognizes excellent teachers at all levels across the School of Medicine, as well as the staff who demonstrate exemplary service in support of medical education.