Financial Support for Travel and External Faculty Development Programs
The Executive Committee of the Academy of Medical Educators has approved the following policy governing support for members' travel and accommodations for professional development activities. The policy reflects the mission of the Academy: to foster excellence in teaching; to support and reward teachers; to advance scholarship in medical education; and to promote curricular innovation. (The SOM Academic Affairs office offers faculty travel awards intended to cover child, elder and dependent care expenses for approved meetings; click here for more information.)
Academy members may apply for travel support for the following activities:
- Invited presentations about UCSF's Academy
- Presentation of a member's scholarly work in education
- Professional development that better enables a member to undertake work related to specific and current Academy goals
Range of Support
A grant may support up to 50% of travel expenses, including transportation, lodging, meals and registration fees, not to exceed $1,000. The member's home department is expected to provide the other 50%, but in some special circumstances, the member may provide the remaining 50%.
To maximize the benefit for the greatest number of Academy members throughout the year:
- Half of the Academy's annual member travel support allocation will be reserved for activities occurring between July and December, and the other half for activities occurring between January and June.
- An individual member may use this benefit once every 24 months.
- Additional requests by a member who has already received support within the previous 24-month period may be honored as resources permit.
To apply for funding, email the following information to Academy manager Cynthia Ashe (firstname.lastname@example.org) at least four weeks before the meeting or event:
- Meeting or activity name, dates and location
- Nature of participation (eg learner; poster or podium presentation; workshop facilitator)
- Linkage to Academy mission
- Itemized estimate of costs
- Fund source for remaining costs
Academy leadership will review requests and respond by email. Receipts must be submitted to the Academy with three weeks after the activity, and reimbursement will be processed through MyExpense. Retroactive requests will not be honored.