Expectations of AME Members
Members in good standing will:
- Maintain the high level of work in education and teaching that qualified them for membership
- Provide significant contributions toward advancing the Academy's mission
- Actively participate in Academy activities and attend Academy events
Members annually document their participation and service in the following areas:
I. Participation in Academy Administration and Activities. (Minimum 10 hours per year, excluding direct teaching, are required.)
- Serving as a chair and/or an actively participating member of an AME working group or committee.
- Providing other administrative functions for the Academy, e.g. serving on a search committee for an AME endowed chair or coaching potential applicants.
- Furthering faculty development and improving teaching through AME co-sponsored activities, e.g. Key Educational Skills, Educator's Portfolio and GME teaching workshops, formal mentoring through the AME, and peer review of educational scholarship (ESCape, Education Symposium).
- Serving as a liaison at activities related to the AME mission in other venues, e.g. representing the AME at selected academic conferences, membership on select institutional academic committees, mission-related grand rounds presentations, conducting a department-based workshop on documentation of educator activities, reviewing membership applications for sister academies.
- Providing significant contributions to AME-specific priorities and goals.
II. Academy Function Attendance. (>50% of activities over a 2-year period.)
- Academy-wide Meetings (three or four per year)
- Education Symposium (one per year)
- Induction of New Members (one per year)
Download a tracking template for AME service and attendance.
Read more about qualifying AME service