The Academy inducts new members each year and accepts new applications in the spring. Click here to learn more about the benefits and obligations of membership in the Academy of Medical Educators.
Any UCSF School of Medicine faculty member who (a) is actively engaged in teaching medical students, residents, and/or faculty development for teachers/educators, and (b) has been on faculty (preferably at UCSF) for a minimum of three years (not including time in residency or fellowship) is eligible to apply for membership in the Academy. There is no academic rank or degree requirement for application to the Academy; the focus is on outstanding accomplishment. While the majority of our members are primarily educators at the UME level, we welcome applications supported by exceptional teaching at the level of GME and/or faculty development for teachers/educators. Strongest applicants to the Academy will demonstrate scope and impact beyond their home department.
Applications consist of the following components:
(1) an application checklist
(2) a personal statement addressing the applicant's educational philosophy, professional development in education, and intended contributions to the Academy and to the School of Medicine (2 pages maximum)
(3) documentation of achievement in the form of an Educator's Portfolio (10 pages maximum)
(4) your department chair's letter of support
The Educator's Portfolio includes five categories of educational accomplishment. Academy candidates must apply in Direct Teaching and at least one other category. Successful candidates will demonstrate excellence in all areas in which they apply. For this reason, except as noted below, you are encouraged to apply only in your strongest areas:
(1) Direct Teaching (required for all applicants)
(2) Curriculum Development and Instructional Design
(3) Student Advising and Mentoring
(4) Educational Administration and Leadership (required for applicants with significant leadership roles)
(5) Educational Research
Click here for more information about the Educator's Portfolio, including templates and examples.
Click here to view important guidelines for preparing your application.
(1) Letter of Intent (optional): If you are considering applying, please submit a letter of intent via email by Monday, March 25, 2013. Those who meet this deadline will be offered timely access to an Academy Application Coach for assistance with preparing the Educator's Portfolio, and will receive reminders as due dates approach.
(2) Educators Portfolio and E*Value Scores: Review the Educator's Portfolio instructions and make sure you are able to access your E*Value data. Applicants are advised to develop their Educator's Portfolio well in advance of the application deadline.
(3) Request an Application Coach (optional, strongly encouraged): Application Coaches are specially trained members of the Academy who provide substantive guidance in preparing the Educator's Portfolio. For a formal referral to an Academy Application Coach, email email@example.com.
(4) Submit Application for Administrative Review (optional): Applications received by Monday, April 22 will be checked for administrative completeness, and candidates will be given the opportunity to provide missing elements by the final deadline of Monday, May 13. Applications received after April 22 will not be checked and will be distributed to reviewers "as is." Applications with significant documentation or formatting issues may be returned, unreviewed.
(5) Submit Your Final Application: All applications are due by email to Kathleen Land at firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00 pm on Monday, May 13. (This deadline will not be extended. When preparing your Educator's Portfolio, please reserve ample time for collection of E*Value scores.)
|March 4||Call for new member applications|
|March 25||Deadline to submit letter of intent to apply|
|April 22||Deadline to submit application for administrative review|
|May 13||Applications due at 5:00 pm (no extensions)|
|Mid-August||New members are announced|
|September 23||Celebration of New Members|