Dr. Dan Lowenstein and the "Blue Skies" curriculum task force conceived of the academy idea in 1998, as a means to revitalize the teaching mission of the UCSF School of Medicine. Within two years, then-Dean Haile T. Debas secured the endorsement of department chairs and committed funding for operations and the matched endowed chair program. The Academy was among the first cross-departmental programs in the country designated to broadly support and advance the teaching mission.
Founding director Molly Cooke, MD was appointed in 2000, and the first class of 24 members was inducted in 2001. Helen Loeser, MD, MSc, succeeded Dr. Cooke in 2012; she holds the William G. Irwin Endowed Chair.
Working closely with the Office of Medical Education, the AME delivers ambitious programs to teachers across the medical education continuum at UCSF. AME members play a leading role in medical education locally and nationally.
- Helen Loeser, MD, MSc, Director
Location & Mailing Address:
- 533 Parnassus (UC Hall), Suite U80, Box 0710
- San Francisco, CA 94143-0710
- (415) 514.2282
- At 4th Avenue on the south side of Parnassus Avenue at the bus stop you will find an auto door entry. The incline is steep. Follow the path to the elevators.
- At 3rd Avenue as the street levels signage reflects the auto door entryway. After entering, proceed straight ahead, make a left, follow around the walls to the right, elevators lie directly ahead on the left-hand side.
- From the rear parking lot, access is gained into the 5th Floor of the building at the entrance to the Beckman Vision Center.
Two elevator banks are located in the main hallway of the building. U80 is located on the basement level. Please use the buzzer and intercom for access.